• If you are looking for a VPN this is the one we recommend MaxSecVPN.com as they have the BEST PRICE I have found and also the best quality.
  • QSG is currently looking for forum local moderators. Meaning you would pick a forum on the website and you would only be able to moderate that forum. This comes with making sure people are following the rules and being respectful. You are also responsible for promoting your forum. Please fill out an application here.

Disney Insists There’s Still a Lot of Demand for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

With the future of the
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
up in the air, Disney has at least signalled its commitment to the much-loved role-playing game.

Speaking to
, Disney’s head of gaming, Sean Shoptaw, insisted “there's still a lot of demand for” KOTOR. “I’ll leave it there,” he concluded.

Amid continued silence from embattled games company Embracer about the status of its KOTOR remake, developer Saber Interactive was, as of November,

The KOTOR Remake was thought dead after Embracer had Saber Interactive, the developer working on
, take over following significant trouble at original developer Aspyr.

Bloomberg reporter and reputable insider Jason Schreier posted on
to say Saber Interactive is still working on the game, although question marks remain over whether it will ever actually come out, and if it does, what sort of game it will be.

The KOTOR remake was announced in 2021 as a PlayStation-published game, sparking excitement from fans of the original RPG. But we’ve heard little since, save reports of ongoing struggles with development. Last year,
after disappointment over progress made. A demo built by Aspyr apparently failed to impress when shown to Lucasfilm and Sony, which led to development being put on hold. The remake’s art director Brad Prince and design director Jason Minor subsequently left the project.

Aspyr had worked on the KOTOR remake for three years before it was finally announced in Sony’s 2021 PlayStation Showcase, where it was revealed that original voice actor
as Bastila Shan.

At the time, the KOTOR remake was set to be released as a PC and PS5 console exclusive and was touted as a full remake built from the ground up. Originally developed by BioWare, Knights of the Old Republic is regarded as one of the
and western RPGs ever made.

Embracer has so far refused to comment on the issue despite multiple requests from IGN ever since it emerged the KOTOR remake had encountered development trouble.

Earlier in November, Embracer CEO Lars Wingefors
during a financial presentation, saying: “I notice that anything I say to this becomes a headline, so that is my only comment."

According to reports, Aspyr had targeted a late 2022 release date for the remake, but insiders suggested 2025 was a more realistic target. It’s now even more unclear how this project will continue.

Embracer is currently embroiled in a significant restructuring process
. Saints Row studio
and TimeSplitters maker
have closed down, and
. More layoffs are expected.

Axios asked Disney’s Shoptaw if the KOTOR remake will ever come out. Here’s his response in full:

"Not a lot I can say on that point for some hopefully obvious reasons, but KOTOR is obviously an incredibly popular game, one that we are incredibly proud of and think that there's still a lot of demand for. I'll leave it there."

Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at [email protected] or confidentially at [email protected].

Users who are viewing this thread

• We value your privacy

We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.

See further information and configure your preferences

These cookies are required to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may not reject these.
    We deliver enhanced functionality for your browsing experience by setting these cookies. If you reject them, enhanced functionality will be unavailable.
    Cookies set by third parties may be required to power functionality in conjunction with various service providers for security, analytics, performance or advertising purposes.