• If you are looking for a VPN this is the one we recommend MaxSecVPN.com as they have the BEST PRICE I have found and also the best quality.
  • QSG is currently looking for forum local moderators. Meaning you would pick a forum on the website and you would only be able to moderate that forum. This comes with making sure people are following the rules and being respectful. You are also responsible for promoting your forum. Please fill out an application here.

Tekken 8 Colorblind Filter Is Causing Vertigo and Migraines for Disabled Players

A recently revealed colorblind filter for Tekken 8 is negatively impacting disabled players with issues like nausea and migraines. While accessibility tools like colorblind options help to differentiate important on-screen information like opponents and their health bars, this setting is preventing some disabled individuals from viewing matches altogether.

X/Twitter user
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
shared a 38-second clip of a brief match with the filter activated, stating, “Why is no one talking about the colorblind accessibility of Tekken 8. Literally no game has done this.”

Why is no one talking about the color blind accessibility of Tekken 8. Literally no game has done this.

— SJS | Gatterall (@itwhiffed)

The video showcases a match with the background stylized after an uncolored comic panel. The fighter on the left is defined by vertical black lines that consistently move, and their opponent on the right is defined by horizontal black lines that follow the movement of the player. Currently, the video has over 9 million views.

Members of the disabled community took to the social media platform to voice their concerns. Game Accessibility Lead at EA,
, posted “Please stop tagging me in the Tekken 8 ‘colorblind’ stripe filters. It’s already induced an aura migraine for me, and I can’t afford to get another one right now, or worse. Appreciate y’all.”

Accessibility consultant and advocate
echoed Baker’s statement, encouraging other X/Twitter users to stop sharing the video to prevent harming others. In a
, Hamilton discussed the overall problems of colorblind filters, stating “f you have
then you're sensitive to brightness and contrast. Filters aren't how to approach colourblindness in general, the other filters have issues too, e.g. the
one changed everything to green and purple with isn't helpful for tritanopia.”

Other X/Twitter users expressed their concerns, as well.
stated “Terrible migraine since I saw that s**t... Can't even sleep because of the pain....” Accessibility and DEI consultant,
posted “Striped filter gave me instant vertigo just from a 2-3 second clip that I accidentally saw. It’s hazardous.”

Game Director of the Tekken series,
to defend the varying colorblind filters. In an extensive post, he noted his team has received “positive feedback” relating to the accessibility settings, arguing that “A few people, albeit very few, have either misunderstood the accessibility options we are trying, or have only seen the video without actually trying them out in the demo play.” He also noted that he and his team have “never claimed or publicized that these options cover all players' color vision (although it has been talked about by a favorable community as a result).”

For more information on Tekken 8, check out the
, as well as
ahead of its launch on January 26, 2024 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC. A demo is currently available for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and Steam.

Grant Stoner is a disabled journalist covering accessibility and the disabled perspective in video games. When not writing, he is usually screaming about Pokémon or his cat, Goomba on

Users who are viewing this thread

• We value your privacy

We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.

See further information and configure your preferences

These cookies are required to enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. You may not reject these.
    We deliver enhanced functionality for your browsing experience by setting these cookies. If you reject them, enhanced functionality will be unavailable.
    Cookies set by third parties may be required to power functionality in conjunction with various service providers for security, analytics, performance or advertising purposes.